Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Queen Ring Shetland Center--Complete!

Easy and fun to knit, the center for the Queen Ring/King Bat shawl didn't take long, either. I am under no illusion that the border (or the miles of interminable edging) will dance off my needles quite as quickly , but it's still a very pleasant pattern to work.








And the yarn! Technically, it's 52/2 60% merino, 20% cashmere, 20% silk. But to knit with it--it's incredible! It's stupendous! It's incredible! Oh whoops, I said that. It's bouncy. It's silky. It's soft. It's everything a gossamer yarn is supposed to be. It deserves a niche in the Yarn Hall of Fame.

Alas, I bought the only skein in the universe on my trip to Japan last year. I was so besotted with it that I decided that I had to have more.

I sent a sample to a mill in China and asked what their minimum order was for a custom spin. The bad news was that I needed to buy 50 kilos. Much as I loved it, I didn't love it 50 kilos-worth. Each kilo has 25,000 meters, and, while I am a fairly robust knitter, I couldn't see my way to stashing 1,250,000 meters of yarn. There are limits, even for me.

I figured there were probably a few other people who might go in with me on the buy. I posted the information in the Heirloom Knitting group on Ravelry and placed a little Post-It note next to the computer to write down the names of the five or six people I figured would want a kilo or two. To my utter bafflement, I had to quickly switch to a spreadsheet to keep track of the orders.

The good news is that I have 100 kilos subscribed. In about a month, I will be able to roll around in the stuff (just kidding, guys, really!)

The thought of 200 pounds of yarn landing in my yard is a bit daunting, but a dear lady is driving down from South Carolina to help us pack and ship the 2,500,000 meters of the yarn I am naming Phoenix.

Of course, Harry said he would help out by providing the entertainment. Unfortunately, he has developed a crush on Al Jolson. The house reverberates with the clickity-click of eight little feet tap-dancing on the dining room table. I can't wait to see what he has in store for us as we wrestle with mailing bags. Hmm, perhaps he will fit in one of them. (Joke--it's a joke!) I promise that nobody will open their package and find a tap-dancing spider in it. Unless, of course, you want one.

28 comments:

heidi said...

it's truly stunning!

it's amazing how fast you have knitted the center! you have really kept your needles busy:)

and now you having more of that wonderful yarn coming in - how wonderful!

Judith said...

the center of QR is stunning! Yet another beautiful piece of work!

Looking forward to the yarn, hope there will be more and different ones to come! isn't it funny how serendipity works?

Lacefreak said...

The lace for your Queen Ring Shetland Center is sublime! I just love how it looks. If I hadn't already asked you for some of this yarn this I would have been frantic to get in touch with you because I know there won't be any left of that 100 Kilos! As for Harry, I wouldn't trust him not to start knitting on my yarn if he was packed up with it!

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

The lace is beautiful. It's so delicate and even. It's a good thing I'm not around. I'd have to squeeze it and squoodge it and take a nap with it.

Kitty Kitty said...

WOW... I am speachless... well ok I am still typing.

It is truly stunning.

KPiep said...

That's it...I'm ordering that pattern today, and I'm going to do the swatching for my long-awaited Princess shawl while the girls are with their grandmother today. Life is too short to put it off any longer. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jenni said...

being a very lazy ravelry user, i was totally unaware that you were offering treasure there. Is there any way to get in on some of the 100 kilos of heaven, or has that door closed?

BadCatDesigns said...

Both the pattern and the yarn are gorgeous! Will you be sharing this pattern with your adoring fans? I saw your post about the yarn on Ravelry. Actually, I did not see it all by myself. A kindred fiber fiend (I mean friend) alerted me to the event. Will it be possible to get less than 1 kilo? I am sure you will keep us posted!

Mary-Kay said...

Oh wow, that is AMAZING! Is it too late to order a few Kilos? I'm VERY interested. My email address is mktilden1@yahoo.com

Cheryl S. said...

Stunning - totally stunning!
Love the color, too.

Chery said...

Beautiful knitting begins with talent, especially talent to choose the best yarn for the job. Too late? I'd love a kilo. I'm hoping this will be natural or undyed yarn? I'm interested.

Please email me: cheryknits@kc.rr.com

Toffee's Mum said...

QRS. Drool. What more can I say?

100kg ... is that all!

Can't wait for my measly 1kg to reach UK.

As our yarn is coming direct, I shouldn't have to worry about Harry hitching a ride. Phew.

Hege said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! The color is wonderful, too, and what an adventure to special order the yarn!

Smitten Knitten said...

So beautiful! If I didn't think he'd keep us up all night with is tapping I'd have Harry in a second!

LittleBerry said...

It's absolutely stunning and such a different colour for you :o)

Anonymous said...

oooooo, it's just lovely!

Kelli said...

I love lace.

gjabouri said...

Hi Fleegle, I just posted an order of 1 kg on the Heirloom Knitting group - is it too late? I hope not!!

Carol said...

Holy Yarn Batman! That IS a lot of yarn! sounds rather overwhelming

Opal said...

amazing work! you leave me breathless. :)

Batty said...

Stunning!

And... 100 kilos of yarn. Wow. I really, truly want to see pictures of you rolling around in 100 kilos of laceweight -- very carefully, of course, so as not to damage it.

Dorothy said...

Another knitter here to ask if you are still taking orders. Your shawl is amazing - but then all of your lace is!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl!

Oh, that yarn sounds dreamy! If you have anything leftover, could you keep me in mind for buying some?

CrazyFiberLady said...

That center is stunning. I'm now motivated to get to work on mine :)

Can't wait to try that yarn.

thread said...

I'm in the UK. If you have any of this yarn available please consider me.

Pauline

fleegle said...

Dear Pauline--

Please give me some way to get in touch with you.

Thanks.

ladydenmark said...

Hi - I am also interested in your phoenix yarn - pleeease?

fleegle said...

Sure. It will be available in my shop, which I hope to open in late August. Please email me at

TheGossamerWeb at gmail dot com.

I will put you on the list.