Monday, April 14, 2008

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

The Good
The Trenna transfusion arrived today and it's virtually a perfect match. With a bit of medical magic, we got Hanabi off the heart-lung machine and she is convalescing comfortably, thanks to the precision science of Dr. Schaefer. We expect a quick, complete recovery and she is being returned to the daily knitting agenda.

On the down side of the Good News, we submitted Hanabi's hospital bill to Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they rejected the claim for $376,298.14. Although Hanabi is on our policy as a dependent, BC/BS won't cover experimental patterns. Fortunately for our financial picture, the hospital took the heart-lung machine in trade for their impeccable services.

Having freed up a bit of space in the garage, we were moving some boxes of blue ketchup around and discovered a miniature nuclear reactor behind the stack of fifth grade arithmetic tests. Roy tinkered with the connections and eventually got the reactor hooked up to the new ball winder. He is now freed up for his secondary job--machining a set of perfect lace needles.


For those concerned about Lester, rest assured that he is taking a well-deserved break in Cancun and is expected to return in a few weeks to take over the ball-winding chores.


We were delighted to discover that Lester has a degree in nuclear engineering. He is only the second hamster to have passed the intensive course and we are quite proud of him.


The Bad
I will not present a visual of this disaster, because it's too horrific for publication. While carefully tinking back my International shawl, I uncarefully managed to drop 4 stitches. By the time I noticed the error, the stitches had plunged over 20 rows, thereby completely unknitting the middle of a complex flower. The shawl is hidden from view in an unused drawer. If I ever find the energy, I will frog it back, but don't hold your collective breaths.

The Ugly
I won't present a picture of this either, but if you haven't seen the cover of the Spring, 2008 Knitter's magazine, you are not in for a treat. My eyes watered at the fluorescent pink and green colors, and my fingers started itching at the hairy yarn. I won't even comment on the design, except to say that the yarn and the pattern were made for each other. Roy was more charitable--he remarked that at least someone made an effort to match the model's lipstick to the yarn. The on-line version doesn't begin to reproduce the glare, but I provided a link so you can prepare yourself for the real-life photograph.

19 comments:

Kristina B said...

Fleegle, you crack me up. Really. I do look forward to your posts, particularly when they involve machinery.

Do you have access to a frogging trauma centre? If so, I'd like some tips. My frogging trauma centre is very unsophisticated as you can see from my Kermit post today. :-)

As for the front cover: my initial thought was "Star Trek on 'schrooms". Sigh.

z's momma said...

Good- yay!
Bad- darn!
Ugly-(shudder)

Anonymous said...

I see that George Clooney and Lester have something in common: the paparazzi just won't leave them and their companions alone. How unfortunate that Lester isn't home to help you fix the unraveling.

Dave said...

I'm so glad the patient is in recovery and the prognosis is favourable. Also so glad that Lester is taking a well-deserved vacation. Also so glad that I let my subscription to that mag lapse years ago.

Kay said...

And that is why I threw my renewal notice for Knitter's Magazine in the trash!!!! I open it with anticipation and am disappointed every time! One issue was so awful that the only interesting item was a g-string! At least I would have some fun when that was finished!!!!

Loren T said...

I thought the Knitter's cover sweater was bad enough until I opened the magazine and realized that not only was it two pieces, but that one of those pieces was strapless. WTF? I've noted on my blog how the sweater that wins the Knitter's "vote for the cover sweater" contest never makes it to the cover. The sweater that won this issue's voting didn't even make it into the magazine! You have to wonder what they're thinking over there.

Sorry about the dropped stitches! I never use lifelines in my lace, so I understand the hearbreak of the tink.

Laura said...

I'm so glad the transfusion was successful! Hanabi is gorgeous and deserves to live.

We'll ignore the bad and ugly, hoping they'll go away.

Janice in GA said...

The Ghostbusters called. They want you to return their backpack.

:D

Anonymous said...

Are you serious?????? Is that a real machine?

Laritza said...

You are just too funny!
Glad they matched the yarn color.
Knitting magazines are getting worse by the hour.
Too bad on the International Shawl, I have not started mine.
Don't bake the hamster!
Thanks for making me laugh :D

KnitYoga said...

Oh, no, the International Shawl! Hope you feel like putting her into resus one day. It would be a shame just lo leave her in the drawer ad infinitum! Looking forward to seeing Hanabi now she's through the worst and recovering following her transfusion. Good job she's not a Jehovah's Witness!

BadCatDesigns said...

I am so glad Hanabi has been discharged from the hospital. I trust she is getting the proper physical therapy and will make a full recovery. I am glad you sent the hamster for some R&R. I was suprised to see him so well fed appearing, after all the running he had to do. He is just amazing...

I can't even begin to tell you the horror I felt reading about International. I cringe for you. Maybe one day soon you will just have an urge to knit backwards.

2trees said...

Don't mock those of us who have always wanted to knit a neon strapless babydoll top and capelet! :(

SpinalCat said...

Sorry about your dropped stitches! That's awful.

Soo said...

The scariest thing is that the sweater isn't the idiosyncratic bad taste moment of one person. It would have been discussed for days by the team. How did that discussion go? How did a GROUP of people all agree on that sweater as something knitters want?

You would have thought they'd sobered up before the print deadline.

LittleBerry said...

you have my sympathy for your dropped stitches.....

glad Lester is getting a break he deserved it but looks like it was all worth while if the patient will be making a full recovery due to the near perfect blood transfusion....

Carol said...

That is quite a sophisticated set up for ball winding. Of course, it probably goes at a billionty miles an hour, right? So the yarn gets wound REALLY REALLY fast. Right?

Lacefreak said...

Lester really is quite the ladies hamster! Can hamsters get sunburn by the way? I must say that Roy has a truly masterful collection of equipment stashed away and I had no idea how useful medical equipment was for knitting :-) Having finished the center for the International Shawl, I am appaled and horrified at your dropped stitch disaster. Hopefully a little time away from it will soothe your injured sensibilitys (shudder).

Opal said...

My eyes! My eyes! Why did I click over to see what was on the cover on Knitter's? Why?