Saturday, August 25, 2007

Lyra & Luna

My Japanese embroidery class was wildly successful (meaning that nobody dropped out and the projector didn't die in the middle of a lecture). I can now relax for a week here in beautiful Bath before boarding yet another plane for home.

In the meantime, here's a bit of Neibling's brilliant Lyra (scroll down Jane's page to see the finished piece). This is a complicated knit, but wonderful fun--each pattern row is different and there's a resting knit row between them. I first swatched with Zephyr, but decided the yarn was too indelicate, so I switched over to Gentle in the Dark Ruby color.

I am sorry I had to leave it back in the US, but I have too much to do here in England and this piece requires concentration.


I did, however, bring the Wings of the Moth, which is being worked in pale green Art Yarns mohair/silk. The pattern requires no concentration whatsoever and the silky, fuzzy yarn is especially pleasant to handle in the lovely cool weather we are having here. The pale green is very slightly variegated and the exact color of a Luna moth.



This was the yarn reserved for the Bee shawl, so now I have to go yarn shopping again. Darn!

18 comments:

LittleBerry said...

the Lyra is looking good and I like the colour of the moth shawl... not too big a fan of fuzzy yarns though but the pattern is showing though nicely I look forward to more photographs...

I am glad your class was a success and now you get to enjoy a rest before heading home.....

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Love the color of the Moth shawl - it's on the LIST amd I think that subtle green is the perfect yarn for it.

Is there any place to get Lyra other than out of print magazines that evidently cost WAY more than the budget will allow? Not like I need more lace!

Colette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colette said...

For Lyra, I'll have to live vicariously through you and Jane. Both Lyra and Luna are looking beautiful.

I read your comment on Littleberry's blog and hope your feeling better soon.

Laritza said...

I have to begin my second Lyra. One of these days that will happen. Yours is lovely in color and structure.

Anonymous said...

oooh, that is going to be so lovely. what or who is neibling?

Anonymous said...

Well, you can't argue with the yarn. If the mohair wants to be the moth shawl, that's just how it is. You will simply have to buy something else (oh, the dreaded agony of lace yarn shopping!).

Opal said...

I have always wanted to knit the Lyra and seeing yours makes me want to tackle it even more. I love the red you're using.

The Wing O' The moth is looking good! I have wanted to make it in a nice mohair, but I'm afraid that mohair and I don't really get along!

I'm also glad to hear you class was a success and I hope you have a great time in Bath.

Anonymous said...

The Wings shawl is looking wonderful, a perfect yarn for it! Yes, too bad you must! shop for new lace yarn - you might even have! to get more than one. That's just to be sure the swatching can go on uninterupted (or other very valid reason). :)Terry

Iris G said...

Your Wings of the Luna Moth shawl is perfect; what a soothing color! Hope you have a great week in Bath!

June said...

As always, you amaze and delight! Love the Moth color and your Lyra will be awesome, I'm sure! :)

LittleBerry said...

sorry you're not feeling well after but I hope it won't be too long before you recover

missalicefaye said...

oooh fuzzy! :) Hope you're finding lots of fabulous yarn in Bath!

Soo said...

Hope the yarn shopping is successful.

I'm still waiting for my Lyra yarn (Zephyr) to be delivered - although your comment on the weight means I might need to reconsider.... hmmmmm.... more googling of finished Lyra's required.

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle,

You have to shop for yarn? Oh the pain! LOL. The Moth shawl looks beautiful and the color is such a wonderful fit! Your Lyra is looking quite beautiful. The color is fantastic! I'm up to row 111 since I got to take mine on vacation. Other knitting languished I'm afraid. Glad the projector held up for your class!

Courtney said...

That is soooo pretty

Courtney said...

I love the green and the red is so rich... just beautiful :-)

Courtney said...

So where has Harry been???